The WA Alcohol Interlock Scheme requires designated drink drive offenders to participate and complete an Interlock Scheme. Once convicted the offender will be issued with a licence endorsed with an interlock condition and will be known as an interlock restricted driver. Interlock restricted drivers have two options for interlock device installation.

Option A – Monitored: Install an Interlock device and participate in the Scheme for a minimum of 180 continuous days demonstrating safe driving behaviour and the ability to separate drinking from driving before being eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition. Violations recorded on the interlock may result in an extension of the interlock period.

Option B – Unmonitored: Install an interlock device and remain on a restricted licence. You will not be eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition unless you participate and successfully complete the Monitored Scheme.

The Alcohol Interlock Scheme in WA is overviewed by the Department of Transport (DoT). For advice on licencing please contact DoT on 13 11 56.

Find an Authorised Service Centre in WA

Interlock installation and servicing in WA is subject to prior arrangement with your Service Centre. Please contact them to schedule an appointment.

FAQFrequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Initially you need to pay for the installation and the first month’s lease fee for the interlock which is leased on a monthly basis. The overall cost of installation will be determined by the vehicle type (standard or non-standard installation), and length of program. Lease fees are then for each period. You also have a Loss Protection Plan option, which reduces your liability if the equipment is stolen. A Removal fee is charged at the end of the program. A list of our fees is available on this website.

Can I have the interlock device fitted to any sort of vehicle?

Yes – Depending on your vehicles make, model, and year, the interlock device installation can vary. Motorbikes require a compatible ignition system and battery, kick start motorbikes will not be fitted.

Our service centre will inspect your vehicle and advise you of any additional costs.

What will I need to bring with me on the day?

You will need your interlock condition driver’s licence or receipt, photo ID, concession card (conditions apply), proof of vehicle ownership and motor vehicle. The owner’s permission is always required. Click here to have the registered owner complete their authority form.

Is there Concession / Discount rates?

Concessions are available. Refer to your State interlock scheme information page for eligibility details.

Participants authorise Guardian to confirm card validity and rate, by a submitted e-Services Form. Click here to find an online form to complete and submit.

Concession is available Lease fees ONLY.

Concession found to be invalid will be reversed and payment will be required prior to your next service.

Is there a subsidy scheme?

At this stage, there are currently no subsidy schemes in place to assist with the costs of the Western Australia Alcohol Interlock Program. The costs involved with registration and installation will be borne by the individual.

How long do I need to have the interlock device installed?

Your Ignition Interlock device must be installed for a minimum continuous period of 6 months.

Do I need to attend in person?

Yes. You must present the vehicle for each monthly service. Failure to attend in person may result in an extension to your interlock period.

How often does the alcohol interlock device have to be serviced?

If you elect to participate in the scheme, servicing is to be completed monthly on the anniversary of your installation.

If you choose not to participate in the scheme but have the alcohol interlock device installed, after the initial service period you may return for service bi-monthly.

How do I complete the program?

Participants have to participate in the scheme and demonstrate that they can separate drinking and driving over a 6 month period before they will be eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition. DoT will advise once you’ve completed your scheme and your completion date will be available on your Dot Direct account. For further information visit the DoT website.

Are there any other exemptions?

Yes. There are some exemptions available, and they are based on medical grounds and remote location. Contact DoT to see if you qualify.

Can anyone drive the vehicle after an interlock device has been fitted?

Yes, anyone can drive the vehicle but you are responsible for what is recorded on your log. However, you cannot drive another vehicle that does not have an alcohol interlock device installed. This is a direct breach of the conditions of the program and may see you incur penalties as a result.

I’m selling my car, what should I do?

Make an appointment with your service centre to transfer the equipment from one vehicle to another. If you do not have your new vehicle yet you may have the interlock removed voluntarily. If you remove the interlock device early or change vehicles it may affect your interlock period. You should contact DoT prior to removal.

Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

I can’t afford my interlock device anymore, what can I do?

The best plan is to have the interlock removed until you are able to afford it. Removal and reinstall charges will apply but the lease costs continue and can end up costing you more than the removal/install. In most states an early termination fee also applies but is refunded if you return within 6 months.

It is a good idea to contact Guardian for advice if you are having difficulties to avoid unwanted additional fees and your account being escalated. We will do our best to work with you to assist in difficult situations.

I’ve lost my user manual for my interlock device, what should I do?

Download a copy of the User Guide here.

Reach Out to Our Team

For queries about the WA Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program, please contact us at Guardian, and we will be happy to help.