The VIC Mandatory Interlock Program (VAIP) requires designated drink drive offenders to automatically receive an interlock order from VicRoads advising of their requirement to complete a mandated Interlock Program. Offenders are required to have an interlock device fitted with a camera for a minimum of 6 months following the disqualification period. Before installation offenders will be required to complete a Behaviour Change Program. At the completion of the interlock device installation you will be required to submit your completed installation certificate to VicRoads for the reissue of your licence. Participants will need to have demonstrated safe driving behaviour and the ability to separate drinking from driving before being eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition.

The VIC Program is overviewed by VicRoads. For advice on licencing please contact VicRoads on 13 11 71.

Find an Authorised Service Centre in VIC

Interlock installation and servicing in VIC is subject to prior arrangement with your Service Centre. Please contact them to schedule an appointment.

FAQFrequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Initially you need to pay for the installation, VicRoads Cost Recovery fee and the first month’s lease fee for the interlock which is leased on a monthly basis. The overall cost of installation will be determined by the vehicle type (standard or non-standard installation), and length of program. Then lease fees and the Cost Recovery fee are paid monthly. The VicRoads Cost Recovery fee is a government fee imposed to recover the costs of running the Interlock Program. You also have a Loss Protection Plan option, which reduces your liability if the equipment is stolen. A Removal fee is charged at the end of the program. A list of our fees is available on this website.

Can I have it fitted to any sort of vehicle?

Yes – Depending on your vehicles make, model, and year, interlock device installation can vary. Motorbikes require a compatible ignition system and battery, kick start motorbikes will not be fitted.

Our service centre will inspect your vehicle and advise you of any additional costs.

What will I need to bring with me on the day?

You will need your Installation certificate for completion by the service centre, photo ID, concession card (conditions apply) and motor vehicle. The owner’s permission is always required. Click here to have the registered owner complete their authority form.

Is there Concession / Discount rates?

Concessions are available. Refer to your State interlock program information page for eligibility details.

Participants authorise Guardian to confirm card validity, by a submitted e-Services Form. Click here to find an online form to complete and submit.

Concession is available for One (1) Install, Lease fees and VicRoads Cost Recovery fee.

Concession found to be invalid will be reversed and payment will be required prior to your next service.

Is there a subsidy scheme?

The Victorian Interlock Program is not the subject of any government subsidy schemes and there is at present no financial assistance available to drivers that are required to complete the program.

Nevertheless, Guardian Interlock have offer a number of ways to ensure the costs incurred throughout the program are kept to a minimum, and these will be discussed by our team members at your service centre. Adhering to the guidelines set out in the program is always advised to ensure no additional costs are incurred.

How long do I need to have it installed?

Interlock periods in VIC vary with a minimum period of 6 months. VicRoads will advise you of your interlock period once you’ve had your interlock installed and licence reissued.

Do I need to attend in person?

You must attend your installation appointment to have your reference image captured and complete training. Once installed someone else may present your vehicle for service.

How often do I have to be serviced?

Your alcohol interlock device will need to be serviced monthly (every 30 days). At this time, service technicians will also analyse the data recorded by the device to ensure the driver has been adhering to the guidelines of the program.

How do I complete the program?

Participants have to demonstrate that they can separate drinking and before they will be eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition. If you have completed your interlock period you can apply online through VicRoads AIMS portal or call VicRoads.

Are there any other exemptions?

Yes, you can apply to VicRoads for a medical exemption if you have a condition that prevents you from using the alcohol interlock.

Can anyone drive the vehicle after an interlock device has been fitted?

Yes, anyone can drive the vehicle but you may still be responsible for what is recorded on your log. The interlock camera captures images of anyone using the interlock.

I’m selling my car, what should I do?

Make an appointment with your service centre to transfer the equipment from one vehicle to another. If you do not have your new vehicle yet you may have the interlock removed voluntarily.

Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

I Can’t Afford My Interlock Anymore, What Can I Do?

The best plan is to have the interlock removed until you are able to afford it. Removal and reinstall charges will apply but the lease costs continue and can end up costing you more than the removal/install. In most states an early termination fee also applies but is refunded if you return within 6 months.

It is a good idea to contact Guardian for advice if you are having difficulties to avoid unwanted additional fees and your account being escalated. We will do our best to work with you to assist in difficult situations.

I’ve lost my User Manual, what should I do?

Download a copy of the User Guide here.

Reach Out to Our Team

For queries about the VIC Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program, please contact us at Guardian, and we will be happy to help.