The TAS Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program (MAIP) requires designated drink drive offenders to have an alcohol interlock installed following conviction in the courts. Offenders are advised of their requirement to complete a mandated interlock period for a minimum of 15 months. The first 9 months (270 days) is a “Learning Period”, followed by 6 months (180 days) “Demonstration Period”. Any violations recorded during the demonstration period of the alcohol interlock program may cause this period to restart. Participants will need to have demonstrated safe driving behaviour and the ability to separate drinking from driving before being eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition. DSG will advise participants once they have completed their program and removal is approved.

The TAS Program is overviewed by the Department of State Growth (DSG). For advice on licencing please contact DSG on 1300 135 513.

Find an Authorised Service Centre in TAS

Interlock installation and servicing in TAS is subject to prior arrangement with your Service Centre. Please contact them to schedule an appointment.

FAQFrequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Initially you need to pay for the installation, TAS Administration Fee and the first month’s lease fee for the interlock which is leased on a monthly basis. The overall cost of installation will be determined by the vehicle type (standard or non-standard installation), and length of program. Then lease fees for each period. The TAS Administration Fee is a monthly government fee imposed to recover the costs of running the Interlock Program. You also have a Loss Protection Plan option, which reduces your liability if the equipment is stolen. A Removal fee is charged at the end of the program. A list of our fees is available on this website.

Can I have it fitted to any sort of vehicle?

Yes – Depending on your vehicles make, model, and year, interlock device installation can vary. Motorbikes require a compatible ignition system and battery, kick start motorbikes will not be fitted.

Our service centre will inspect your vehicle and advise you of any additional costs.

What will I need to bring with me on the day?

You will need identification (100 pts), MAIP Application Form, concession card (if applicable – conditions apply for concession availability) and motor vehicle. The owner’s permission is always required. Have the registered owner sign the vehicle nomination on the MAIP Application Form prior to installation.

Is there Concession / Discount rates?

Concessions are available. Refer to your State interlock program information page for eligibility details.

Participants authorise Guardian to confirm card validity, by a submitted e-Services Form. Click here to find an online form to complete and submit.

Concession is available for One (1) Install, Lease fees and One (1) Removal.

Is there a subsidy scheme?

No, there is no subsidy scheme currently in place for the Tasmania Alcohol Interlock Programs. This means that participants are responsible for covering the full cost of the interlock installation and any associated fees during the program duration. It is essential to stay updated with the latest program guidelines and policy changes, as subsidy schemes may be introduced or modified in the future.

How long do I need to have it installed?

In the Tasmania Alcohol Interlock Programs, the minimum period for which you are required to have the interlock installed is 15 months. It is essential to adhere strictly to all the rules and guidelines set forth by the program during this period. Failure to comply with the program’s regulations may result in an extension of the interlock period beyond the initial 15 months. To successfully complete the program within the prescribed timeframe, it is crucial to fully cooperate with the program’s requirements and ensure that the interlock device is used responsibly and in accordance with all relevant guidelines.

Do I need to attend in person?

Yes, if you do not attend during the learning period this time will not count towards your program, demonstration period will result in an extension.

How often do I have to be serviced?

After the initial 30 day service, providing there are no lockouts reordered in the previous period servicing can be extended to every 90 days. Any BAC readings or not being able to afford 90 days will result in service periods of 30 – 45 days.

How do I complete the program?

Participants have to demonstrate that they can separate drinking and before they will be eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition. DSG will keep you updated of your progress on the program. You will receive a letter and Removal of Alcohol Interlock Device & I Condition Form Driver Licence to be presented at the Service Centre for removal.

For further information visit the DSG website.

Are there any other exemptions?

Yes. You can apply for an exemption based on medical grounds or if you live offshore. Contact DSG to apply for an exemption.

Can anyone drive the vehicle after an interlock device has been fitted?

Yes, anyone can drive the vehicle but you are responsible for what is recorded on your log.

I’m selling my car, what should I do?

Make an appointment with your service centre to transfer the equipment from one vehicle to another. If you do not have your new vehicle yet you may have the interlock removed voluntarily. The MAIP Add/Remove Interlock Form is to be completed and forwarded to DSG by Guardian on completion.

Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

I Can’t Afford My Interlock Anymore, What Can I Do?

The best plan is to have the interlock removed until you are able to afford it. Removal and reinstall charges will apply but the lease costs continue and can end up costing you more than the removal/install. In most states an early termination fee also applies but is refunded if you return within 6 months.

It is a good idea to contact Guardian for advice if you are having difficulties to avoid unwanted additional fees and your account being escalated. We will do our best to work with you to assist in difficult situations.

I’ve lost my User Manual, what should I do?

Download a copy of the User Guide here.

Reach Out to Our Team

For queries about the TAS Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program, please contact us at Guardian, and we will be happy to help.