The NT Alcohol Ignition Lock (AIL) Program requires designated offenders to attend where an Interlock condition is imposed. The court will advise the length of the condition for a minimum of 6 months to 3 years following completion of your disqualification period. Before Installation you must complete a Drink and drug driver education course then apply for your licence. If you choose note have an Interlock device installed your condition length will be added to your disqualification period. Once you’ve completed your period you can apply to hold a licence without an interlock condition.

The NT Program is overviewed by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR). For advice on licencing please contact MVR on 1300 654 628.

Find an Authorised Service Centre in NT

Interlock installation and servicing in NT is subject to prior arrangement with your Service Centre. Please contact them to schedule an appointment.

FAQFrequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Initially you need to pay for the installation and the first month’s lease fee for the interlock which is leased on a monthly basis. The overall cost of installation will be determined by the vehicle type (standard or non-standard installation), and length of program. Then lease fees are for each period. You also have a Loss Protection Plan option, which reduces your liability if the equipment is stolen. A Removal fee is charged at the end of the program. A list of our fees is available on this website.

Can I have it fitted to any sort of vehicle?

Yes – Depending on your vehicles make, model, and year, interlock device installation can vary. Motorbikes require a compatible ignition system and battery, kick start motorbikes will not be fitted.

Our service centre will inspect your vehicle and advise you of any additional costs.

What will I need to bring with me on the day?

You will need your DOT letter, photo ID, concession card (conditions apply) and motor vehicle. The owner’s permission is always required. Click here to have the registered owner complete their authority form.

Is there Concession / Discount rates?

Concessions are available. Refer to your State interlock program information page for eligibility details.

Participants authorise Guardian to confirm card validity, by a submitted e-Services Form. Click here to find an online form to complete and submit.

Concession is available for One (1) Install, Lease fees and One (1) Removal fee.

Concession found to be invalid will be reversed and payment will be required prior to your next service.

Is there a subsidy scheme?

Yes. There is a remote resident subsidy available to help individuals cover the costs that they incur as a result of their enrolment in the program. Contact DOT to see if you are eligible.

How long do I need to have it installed?

In the Northern Territory, the duration for which you must have the alcohol interlock installed depends on the specific circumstances of your offense and your individual case. Typically, the interlock period can range from 6 to 36 months. For accurate and personalised information regarding your interlock period, visit the Department of Transport (DOT) in the Northern Territory, as they will be able to provide you with the exact duration based on your situation.

Do I need to attend in person?

You must attend your installation appointment to complete training. Once installed someone else may present your vehicle for service.

How often do I have to be serviced?

After your initial servicing period of 30 days then every two months if you live within 150km of the service centre. If you live more than 150km of the service centre you must service your interlock every 90 days.

How do I complete the program?

Once you’ve completed your interlock period shown on your interlock condition licence you can have the interlock removed. Attend DOT and a new licence without the interlock condition will be issued.

For further information please visit the DOT website.

Are there any other exemptions?

No, there are no exemptions for this program in the Northern Territory.

Can anyone drive the vehicle after an interlock device has been fitted?

Yes, once an interlock device has been fitted to the vehicle, anyone with a valid driver’s license can drive it. However, it is crucial to note that the primary driver, the individual who was ordered by the court or relevant authorities to have the interlock installed, remains ultimately responsible for any recorded activity on the device’s log. As the responsible party, it is essential to ensure that any other driver of the vehicle is both insured to drive the vehicle and complies with the conditions of the program to ensure you avoid any potential violations or issues with the interlock program.

I’m selling my car, what should I do?

Make an appointment with your service centre to transfer the equipment from one vehicle to another. If you do not have your new vehicle yet you may have the interlock removed voluntarily.

Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

I Can’t Afford My Interlock Anymore, What Can I Do?

The best plan is to have the interlock removed until you are able to afford it. Removal and reinstall charges will apply but the lease costs continue and can end up costing you more than the removal/install. In most states an early termination fee also applies but is refunded if you return within 6 months.

It is a good idea to contact Guardian for advice if you are having difficulties to avoid unwanted additional fees and your account being escalated. We will do our best to work with you to assist in difficult situations.

I’ve lost my User Manual, what should I do?

Download a copy of the User Guide here.

Reach Out to Our Team

For queries about the NT Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program, please contact us at Guardian, and we will be happy to help.