The NSW Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program (MAIP) requires designated drink drive offenders to automatically receive an interlock order from Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) advising of their requirement to complete a mandated Interlock Program. Offenders are required to install an alcohol interlock fitted with a camera for a specified period (minimum 12 months – 36 months) after their disqualification period OR they can choose to ‘sit out’ the program for a period of 5 years (from date of conviction) during which time they are disqualified from holding a licence. Participants will need to have demonstrated safe driving behaviour and the ability to separate drinking from driving before being eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition.

The NSW Alcohol Interlock Program is overviewed by Service NSW. For advice on licencing please contact Service NSW on 13 22 13.

Find an Authorised Service Centre in NSW

Interlock installation and servicing in NSW is subject to prior arrangement with your Service Centre. Please contact them to schedule an appointment.

FAQFrequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost?

Initially, registering in an alcohol interlock program requires you to pay for the installation and the first month’s lease fee for the interlock which is leased on a monthly basis. After the first month you can choose monthly, bi-monthly (60 day), or, in some cases quarterly (90 day) servicing. The overall cost of installation will be determined by the vehicle type (standard or non-standard installation), and length of program. For each ongoing interlock service you pay a Service Fee along with the Lease Fees. You also have a Loss Protection Plan option, which reduces your liability if the equipment is stolen. A Removal fee is charged at the end of the program. A list of our fees is available on this website.

Can I have it fitted to any sort of vehicle?

Yes – Depending on your vehicles make, model, and year, interlock device installation can vary. Motorbikes require a compatible ignition system and battery, kick start motorbikes will not be fitted.

Our service centre will inspect your vehicle and advise you of any additional costs that may be incurred by installing an alcohol interlock device in your specific vehicle.

What will I need to bring with me on the day?

On the first day of your alcohol interlock program, you will need your RMS Reminder letter, photo ID, concession card (conditions apply) and motor vehicle. The owner’s permission is always required. Click here to have the registered owner complete their authority form.

Is there Concession / Discount rates?

Concessions are available. Refer to your State interlock program information page for eligibility details.

Participants authorise Guardian to confirm card validity and rate, by a submitted e-Services Form. Click here to find an online form to complete and submit.

Concession is available for One (1) Install, Lease fees, Service fee and One (1) Removal.

Concession found to be invalid will be reversed and payment will be required prior to your next service.

Is there a subsidy scheme?

Yes, a Severe Financial Hardship program that covers core costs for specific periods if participant is eligible. Contact Service NSW to see if you qualify.

Unscheduled services and codes are not covered by this scheme.

How long do I need to have it installed?

The length of time that you will be required to have an interlock device installed in your vehicle can vary depending on your individual circumstances and the specific requirements of your interlock program. In New South Wales (NSW), interlock periods typically range from 12 to 48 months.

To determine the specific length of time that you will be required to have the interlock device installed, you should refer to the paperwork provided by the NSW Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) when you applied for your interlock program. This paperwork will outline the terms of your interlock program, including the length of time that you are required to have the device installed, as well as any other program requirements that you must meet.

It is important to remember that the interlock device is a mandatory requirement for individuals who have been convicted of a drink driving offence, and compliance with all program requirements is necessary to successfully complete the program and regain your driving privileges. Failure to comply with program requirements, including the installation and use of the interlock device, can result in additional penalties, program extensions, or the revocation of your driving privileges.

Do I need to attend in person?

Yes. Under the terms set out in your alcohol interlock programs, you must attend your installation appointment to have your reference image captured and complete training. Once the device is installed, someone else may present your vehicle for service.

How often do I have to be serviced?

Bi-monthly (60 days) or Monthly (30 days). Quarterly (90 day) servicing can be approved where no BACs/tampering/circumvention in previous service period. Quarterly (90 day) available for remote and very remote areas.

Extra service fees apply if serviced monthly.

How do I complete the program?

To complete the alcohol interlock program, participants have to demonstrate that they can separate drinking and driving over a 6 month period before they will be eligible to hold a licence without an interlock condition.

For further information visit the RMS website.

Are there any other exemptions?

Yes there are some exemptions available, and they are mainly provided on medical grounds. Note that they are governed by RMS and are not at the discretion of your chosen New South Wales interlock service centre.

Can anyone drive the vehicle after an interlock device has been fitted?

Yes, anyone can drive the vehicle but you may still be responsible for what is recorded on your log. The interlock camera captures images of anyone using the interlock.

I’m selling my car, what should I do?

Make an appointment with your service centre to transfer the equipment from one vehicle to another. If you do not have your new vehicle yet you may have the interlock removed voluntarily. Removal greater than 14 days requires RMS approval and may affect your licence condition.

Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

I Can’t Afford My Interlock Anymore, What Can I Do?

The best plan is to have the interlock removed until you are able to afford it. Removal and reinstall charges will apply but the lease costs continue and can end up costing you more than the removal/install. In most states an early termination fee also applies but is refunded if you return within 6 months.

It is a good idea to contact Guardian for advice if you are having difficulties to avoid unwanted additional fees and your account being escalated. We will do our best to work with you to assist in difficult situations.

I’ve lost my User Manual, what should I do?

Download a copy of the User Guide here.

Are there any extra fees for interlock removal?

For NSW mandatory alcohol interlock programs with Guardian Interlock, we charge an extra fee of $110 for your interlock removal.

You can choose to have your interlock device removed voluntarily at any time. Voluntary removal will incur an additional Early Termination Fee. This fee will be refunded provided you have your interlock reinstalled with Guardian within 6 months. The period where the interlock is not installed does not count towards your program.

To find out the costs of our installation and removal charges and any additional fees, click here.

What is required for removing interlock devices?

-Participants must have their interlock device removed by an approved vendor such as one of Guardians Service Centres

-Be prepared to pay a small fee for removing your interlock device

-You will need to visit a Service NSW centre to obtain a drivers licence that does not carry the interlock condition

Reach Out to Our Team

For queries about the NSW Alcohol Ignition Interlock Program, please contact us at Guardian, and we will be happy to help.